Anytime I use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® and post about it, the interest in it is amazing! We LOVE this paint and it has truly changed our business. We have been selling it for a year now.
The time that it takes to complete a piece is SO much faster than with any other paint we have ever used and with BETTER results.
Hmm... What color?
Here are a few photos of using Emperor's Silk over an OK oak piece. A mini tutorial.
1. Wipe your piece down to clean it. NO SANDING OR PRIMING NEEDED.
2. Brush on paint. One coat is usual enough especially if you are using a good Annie Sloan brush.
The paint has very low VOC's (no odor) so it is safe to paint inside. It will be dry in an hour or less.
3. Distress with a sanding block or piece of sandpaper along the edges or anywhere that you want to highlight the craftsmanship of the piece.
4. Apply Clear Wax next using a wax brush. Gently set your brush in the wax to pick up a little on your brush. Scrape on edge of can to evenly coat the head of the brush. Start rubbing your brush over the paint. Push it in. The paint is very porous, so the wax will fill in to create one solid surface. Work in sections until you have covered the whole piece. (a couple of very light coats are better than one heavy coat.)
*At this point you need to choose if you are going to add Dark Wax over the top of the Clear to richen your color and give the piece more patina. If decide you like the way to looks:
5. Buff your piece with a buff brush or soft clean rag.
You are done!
If you choose to add the Dark Wax:
6. Apply Dark Wax OVER the Clear Wax. Again, set your brush in the wax to pick up a little on your brush. Scrape on edge of can to evenly coat the head of the brush. Start rubbing your brush over the Clear Wax. If you like how dark it looks, leave it. If it is a bit too dark, take a rag and wipe off some till you have the look you want.
7. Buff your piece with a buff brush or soft clean rag.
Finished except for hardware.
And so simple and fast. (That is why there is a lack of photos, it's hard to stop to take them.)
This is a very popular color. So rich and the perfect red!
We offer a paint class once a month.
April 16, 11 - 1:30
2 - 4:30
Call to reserve your seat (916)663-4663
3750 Taylor Road
Loomis, Ca. 95650
Inside the High Hand fruit sheds.
Terry (one of the bricoleurs)